External GPU's for laptops

Posted Sep 2, 2016 by Leon Charles Hitchens

1. Leon Charles Hitchens

Leon Charles Hitchens New Member

I came across a Kickstarter, called the Wolfe, while I was working. The idea behind it is you're able to supercharge your laptop with an external GPU. The idea's a lot like the Razor Core, except the device ships with the graphics card and the Core you have to purchase your own graphics card. The Wolfe starts at $449, and could allow you to play VR games on laptops like my Dell XPS 13 through the Thunderbolt port. It's an interesting idea, and I'm on the edge of buying one to boost my laptops performance.

2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member

Why not just build a PC and have a laptop on the side :p
    It's not like you're gonna drag that thing with you. It's a cool idea but I don't find it overly practical.

3. John Velasco

John Velasco New Member

I find this concept to be useful, kinda reminds me of modularity in smartphones. Add the graphics card to your ultrabook when you want to play games/VR, but still have the convenience of it being portable when you need it.

4. David Imel

David Imel New Member

I think this is useful. Razer's implementation is pretty good, but it would be nice if it was a bit smaller, and maybe a bit cheaper.. $500 is crazy expensive.

5. Leon Charles Hitchens

Razor's option doesn't come wit a graphics card so the price ends up being higher. $500more, when you've already spent $2k on a Macbook Pro isn't a lot.

I'm split on this because I don't have the space for a custom gaming PC, but I have more than enough space for a laptop and the Wolfe.

6. John Velasco

John Velasco New Member

PC gaming using a laptop is such a crazy investment on its own. I look at the Acer Predator 17, a massive thing mind you, but the price tag wouldn't convince me to ever for mobile for PC gaming.

7. Leon Charles Hitchens

If I have a decent Windows computer, like the Dell XPS 13, why wouldn't you just pay a smaller amount to be able to play VR?

8. David Imel

David Imel New Member

I think there are options. Asus is producing a 15 inch laptop right now that has a 1070 in in, and it's around $1300. Pretty damn good deal if you ask me.