Gear VR worth buying?

Posted Aug 30, 2016 by krool-intentions

1. krool-intentions

krool-intentions New Member

Is the gear worth the cost? I have a galaxy s6 that i bought used, but no vr yet. I've used cardboard and found the idea cool but it was hard to find content wirth playing so is things any more better with the gear vr? I know they have their own store with apps, but not sure what is all there. Any advice would be awesome. thanks!

2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't say there's a lot of content there that will get you to use it regularly. But for how much it costs, I would say yes.

3. Andrew Grush

Andrew Grush Supreme Overlord Staff Member

Compared to headsets like the Rift or Vive, the library isn't massive. That said, it's much better than Cardboard. Both in terms of games, and in terms of immersion.

There are a number of "full" games and apps, while Cardboard is 99% tech demos. That said, if you're looking for games that take 30+ hours to beat, etc, not going to find it with Gear VR. Some of the better titles will engross you for a few hours and will set you back a few bucks, or as much as around $10 - $15.

At the end of the day though, if you already have a compatible phone (which you do), I think it's worth the asking price.

I also recommend, if you live near a retailer that does Vive/Rift/PSVR demos, checking out something that's a bit more advanced -- just so you have a better feel at what higher-end VR is like.

4. Calvin Blake

Calvin Blake New Member

Before i got a Vive, I started with the Gear VR. Samsung's vr headset got me interested, especially games like Herobound. Eventually I wanted even more, so I invested in the Vive. So yah, it is good to buy, just not in same league as more expensive headsets.

5. John Velasco

John Velasco New Member

I guess it's that sense of spatial tracking that truly separates the experience.

6. David Imel

David Imel New Member

Most definitely. Vive is on a completely different level. Gear might be a good starting point, although I'm really interested to see what Google can pull out with Daydream.

7. Dan14

Dan14 New Member

Daydream VR will be the catalyst for it all, hopefully October 4th may reveal some more good stuff.

8. David Imel

David Imel New Member

I think until the next USB-C Samsung phone comes out, people should hold off. Although by then Samsung might have a more beefed up daydream competitor.

9. Jake Lam

Jake Lam New Member

If you want to use it to experience VR at the moment, then I say why not. I recently got one from a UK based online retailer for a very good price. I'll probably be using it for watching videos and viewing 360 content. But the Gear VR is not too bad.

10. Dejan

Dejan New Member

If you can find it for a good price, I would go for it. Haven't tried the new GearVR yet though....

11. DVP

DVP New Member

My friend has Samsung Gear VR, he likes it, but I'm not that into it. Waiting for Daydream from Google.