Have you ever tried to use a VR headset in bed to unwind after a long day at work by immersing yourself in a virtual forest or transforming into an eagle and flying in the sky?
If so, then you probably know that finding VR content that can be comfortably enjoyed in the bed isn’t a problem. The problem is that conventional VR headsets are meant to be used while sitting or standing, and they become extremely uncomfortable when used in bed.
Japanese company Diver-X noticed the lack of available solutions and decided to do something about it. Its solution is a unique headset, called HalfDive, that’s intended to be used exclusively while lying down in the bed.
Taking advantage of its stationary nature and larger size, Diver-X fitted the headset with ten aspherical lenses to achieve a super-wide field of view of 134 degrees. Four speakers placed around the user’s head deliver spatial audio, and two fans can provide wind feedback to make various VR experiences feel even more immersive. Finally, the headset contains a vibration feedback system that promises to accurate simulate everything from footsteps to gunshots.
Diver-X has come up with a unique foot controller that allows users to navigate virtual environments in a comfortable sleeping posture, but a hand controller is in the works as well.
- Degrees of Freedom: 4.5 of
- Optical system: Original optical system using 10 lenses. Varifocal feature supported.
- Field of view: 134 degrees
- Resolution: 1600 x 1440 pixels per eye (3200 x 1440 pixels combined)
- Refresh rate: >=90 Hz
- Dial styled IPD adjustment: 58-82 mm
- Audio: Immersive sound system using 4 speakers
- Controller: Two hand/foot controllers
- Tracking: Lighthouse supported / Avatar movement emulation system using foot controller
- Camera: Keyboard overlay system
- Interface: DisplayPort 1.2 / USB 3.0 / 3.5 mm audio jack / 12 V power source / I2C (module connection)
- Platform: All SteamVR applications are supported
- SDK: Unity (features dedicated to VRChat) / Unreal Engine